Bend that knee

One guy's ongoing discussion with his left knee

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Visit from Steady

Another couple sessions yesterday, with a little backwards movement. Had trouble with flexion and extension - I went back and forth between the bike and wall slides for almost an hour, since Luke was pretty busy in the morning, but couldn't get more than 90 degrees. Fairly tight with pain below above the medial part of my kneecap and I have stretching pain in one tendon on the back medial side of my knee. Steadman can by and sat down, and Luke shared we had regressed somewhat and were having trouble with the JAS brace. Steady push on my kneecap a bit and felt above my knee. Good new is my kneecap is still fairly mobile. We've backed off my program quite a bit over past couple days. In the morning and afternoon, bike, wall slides, patella mobs, and prone hangs (instead of the JAS brace) and then 20 minutes of ice. Even used a ice pad instead of the GameReady machine since the GameReady caused some extension pain in the tendon, potentially due to the weight of the brace.

Lunch was a pretty view - we rode the gondala to the top of Vail. Those thinks are quick - 1200 ft/minute - Vail is around 7500 ft and the top of the mountain is almost another mile up. Snow on the tops of various mountains. There was even a wedding up there. We considered moving our wedding to Vail but decided against it. Glad we did that together. Lissa had some pictures that I'll post whenever I get around to it.

Steadman said in the morning he'd inject my knee with cortisone on Monday, and depending on the results, perform an insufflation on Tuesday. That's where he injects water in my knee to create pressure that potentially breaks up the scar tissue, similar to water brushing away cobwebs. I'm glad he's taking a proactive approach rather a reactive one, "Let's wait a week to see if things get better..." Swelling is still more than desired at this point as well.

Luke suggested (actually, his words where "Talk me out of this") that I have one session today to insure I get some patella mobs in to keep that fluid. Plus, trying to generate motion is a good thing. He's headed to Chile with the US Ski team for the rest of my planned time here. Lissa left this morning as well. Hopefully she had a trip as safe as ET's.

For those of you on surplee count, none on Saturday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home