Bend that knee

One guy's ongoing discussion with his left knee

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Bloody Sunday

Well, not really. Spent a couple session with Karen, who originally is from Indianapolis. Hoosieres are everywhere. Morning and afternoon sessions were pretty similar, ironic since I finished up in the morning we just had time to eat lunch before heading back for the afternoon session. Started with wall slides and bike (and then reversed the order of the two in the afternoon. Wall slides in the morning hit 112, good that I haven't gone backwards, bad that I haven't gone forwards. Did some patella mobilizations next in both sessions, and Steadman surprisingly appeared. Said hello, mentioned my patella still looked mobile (Karen mentioned less so in the vertical direction) and asked how the JAS brace was doing. I mentioned it was easier than the dynasplint and it was mostly stretching the back of my tissue; he mentioned again the reason he didn't do the lateral capsular release was becuase the tissue was already so tight.

Morning session did quad with biofeedback, 50 10 second holds. Afternoon was calf stretches with a band. Then bridges both morning and afternoon (put your feet on a ball and lift your behind like a drawbridge) 3o times. She added another that was tough. Do as above, but roll the ball with your feet towards your rear by bending your knees. That was pretty tough. Then she put pressure over my extended knee, slightly bending it more than it wanted to, almost bouncing it. Definitely stretched the tissue underneath the knee a little more, as my heel was on 1/2 moon of foam about 2 inches off the table. Followed that both times by holding my leg, raising it straight up, and then bending it downward at the knee. Ouch. And then our good friends JAS and GameReady. I actually racheted down the JAS setting (which has gone from 0 to 1 to 2 to 4 to 5.5, this morning) to around 5 during the last 5 minutes, and then left it there for the afternoon session.

She also had some running trail suggestions for Lissa. The knee seems straighter, albeit a little, and the lack of movement in the flexion is a little worrisome. I suspect it's partially becuase that range hasn't been used in so long, so it's really stiff, plus I still have a lot of swelling. Actually had a little fluid leak through one of my portals, but nothing serious. At the end of four days, things seem good, certainly better than before. Now need to get the swelling down and the range will hopefully develop...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home