Bend that knee

One guy's ongoing discussion with his left knee

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Back again


Decent day today. Extension looks good, with about 30 minute of reasonably light stretching and moving my kneecap aggresively, we can get my knee to within about a finger's width of the table (of course, the table has a little give on the heel as well). Biking is somewhat smooth on a recumbent bike, which doesn't require as much flexion as a normal upright back. Challenge will be to maintain extension once I leave therapy, and continue gains in flexion. Steadman should be in PT tomorrow, so we'll see what he thinks about insufflation.

Details
Morning and afternoon were really similar. Dirk had a student, Megan, working with him today who I had met before, so she did some of the hands on stuff today. Pretty much the same results, which also is a little encouraging. Bike, wall slides (still painful right below kneecap and on medial side of knee). Patella mobs and then a variety of stretches. Quad sets with overpressure - Megan said I should try to push more with my knee, to drive it into the table. I could feel something pop in my thigh, so hopefully that mental change will give some more extension and push though some scar tissue, if it's there. Stretched my calf and hamstring with a band, and then did a 5 minute quad set and tried a straight leg raise, but still needed assistance. Ball bridges for 20x10 sec each. JAS was almost to the max, at 6.5, and still felt some stretching back in the tendon behind the medial part once again. 20 minute of ice.

Afternoon was nearly the same, but added a massage to the back of my knee after the patella mobs. Maybe I'll get some pictures up - Dirk snapped one of my knee yesterday that was pretty flat...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home