Bend that knee

One guy's ongoing discussion with his left knee

Saturday, May 21, 2005

A little exercise and a little trip

Day two, headed into the gym today, with 20 minutes on the elliptical, 10 on the treadmill, and a little time on the bike. Having the same pain right below the kneecap as yesterday. But yesterday's PT session was really good - 120 flexion and 5 ex (after icing); the flexion was especially surprising since I hadn't been about 100 a while. I suspect/hope the pain might be from the knee getting a little straighter, putting the tissue in a new position. Still should be able to mow the grass, though. Still strange that I can get some range and then immediately lose it after exercising.

Skiing in the summer...
Saw my third doctor on Thursday, the good Dr. Thomas Burns. Outstanding guy. His assistant, Michelle, was cool as well. He provided more insight into my arthofibrosis that anyone so far, but his best part was admitting he didn't know everything. He suggested I could also see the Obi-Wan of knee surgery, Dr. Richard Steadman. Steadman's in Vali and has seemingly worked more on bad knees that anyone else. Burns said, "I can do your surgery, but there's a 50/50 change you'll see Steady after that. " and "there's no ego's here, I'm happy to call his right hand and see if we can get you in to see him." That meant a lot. Said they'd start arthoscopically, and if Steady couldn't get the range on the table, he could open up the knee right then. Might even try popping some of the components in the back of the knee since they haven't stretched in more than a year. That and the scar tissue are probably blocking extention.

Of course, as soon as the fiance heard last week Steadman's in Vali, she wanted to know why I hadn't made an appointment...but I do think we're gonna go. The trip's the easy part, the potential surgery might be a harder choice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home